Integrating a business acquisition
Adding 25% greater scale to it’s European operations, and becoming the #1 Branded Wine supplier in the UK, the Uspire team helped plan, prepare & execute the commercial integration of the EMEA business units.
Treasury Wine Estates (TWE), one of the World’s largest wine Companies acquired Diageo’s Wine division in January 2016, for $600m. Adding 25% greater scale to it’s European operations, and become the #1 Branded Wine supplier in the UK, the Uspire team helped plan, prepare & execute the commercial integration of the EMEA business units.
“I liked the collaborative approach to building a tailored approach to the team’s individual & collective needs. Planning was rigorous yet allowed enough flex to adapt to changing circumstances. Whilst difficult to pin specific ROI to the support received I do believe we have benefitted through both helping people navigate the issues they faced and have improved their capability set.”
– Shaun Heyes, Director – UK Convenience, Wholesale, On Premise & Fine Wine
PROBLEM – October 2015
- Go beyond the Commercial Due Diligence & Integration Planning work to help the EMEA business unit navigate the process of harmonising Trade Terms
- Use one common, proven way to deliver the planned synergies
- Instil confidence across the Sales team
- On-boarded new recruits from Diageo in the Treasury way of working
- Keep the Project Steerco informed throughout the process
– Oliver Horn, Integration Director EMEA
SOLUTION – Jan – June 2016
“Having the flexibility to adopt differing approaches to both key Director’s sectors, enabled a highly targeted approach to risk profiles & mitigation planning. For Grocery, this meant key stakeholders focus on individual retailer demands. Of significant benefit through the process, has been the ability to get new Diageo personnel rapidly up to speed with the key stakeholder dynamics, SWOT+, end goal requirements, and negotiation levers.”
– Jonathan Caton, Grocery Sales Director
Break the project into 3 distinct parts.
- Integration: Project Manage Due Diligence & Induct new staff
- Harmonisation: Support teams in developing robust approaches for key accounts.
- Negotiations: Ensure the TWE methodologies are applied with consistent rigour.
RESULTS by DEC 2016
- Offset double digit $m Gross Profit exposure resulting F16 being 200% higher than prior year
- Excellent engagement and feedback from entire sales teams
- Positive customer feedback on approach and supply continuity, shown in the UK via continued improvements in Advantage Group Survey scores